A bird's eye view of the original St. Mary's
1881. The Sisters of Mercy
had come to Silver City at the invitation of
the local priest to start a school, which by
1915 had more than 100 students. The
Mercy Sisters turned over Our Lady of Lourdes
Academy to seven Sisters of St. Joseph of
Tipton, Indiana., and their superior, Sister
Mary Magdalen Thomas, in mid-1915. Aug. 26,
1915, they incorporated as the Sisters of St.
Joseph of Silver City. They operated St.
Joseph’s Hospital and sanatorium for three
years while teaching school at the Academy,
until financial hardships determined that the
sanatorium be sold.”
Early in the year, the sisters bought the
10-room Mission-style adobe home that the late
Aubrey F. Lee had constructed in 1906 on the
northwestern outskirts of town” at what is now
1801 N. Alabama St. That fall they opened St.
Mary Magdalen’s Academy, a boarding school for
girls. Monsignor William Wright purchased the
neighboring Rufus Jackson mansion at 1809 N.
Alabama St. and donated it to the Sisters of St.
Joseph to serve as a dormitory for the boarding
students. It was the largest private residence
in Silver City when it was built in 1910, and
was renamed Marian Hall. Wright’s parsonage
called the “Joseph House” was built between the
two older homes in 1918.
1922. Fire destroyed the
Lee house, the main building. The sisters
rebuilt their convent, school and the current
chapel, and their numbers never grew to more
than 21 sisters in 1923. Financial hardship
required Sister Magdalen to affiliate with
another community of Sisters of St. Joseph of
The 10-room Mission-style adobe Aubrey F. Lee
mansion, center of picture, was destroyed by
fire in 1922..
The building to the far left served as the high
Marian Hall is pictured to the far right.
A new chapel was constructed with an attached
Students relaxing on the front lawn.
1926. January, the 26th, the
Sisters of St. Joseph of Silver City and their
properties in New Mexico officially merged with
the Concordia community.
From the late 1920s
and ‘30s, St. Mary’s Academy,
served as a boarding school and eventually a
Marian Hall became El Refugio
1940s. St. Vincent de Paul
Catholic Church opened another parochial
school that was staffed by Sisters of St.
1966. St. Mary’s and St.
Vincent de Paul merged into one parochial
Mid-1970s. The landmark
buildings on Alabama Street housed a birthing
center. In 1973, a lay board took over the
combined school and operated it until 1980.
Late 1980s. Marian
Hall became El Refugio, a shelter for victims
of domestic violence.
1990. The Guadalupe
Montessori School moved to the St. Mary’s
2006. The Sisters of St.
Joseph of Concordia celebrated their 80th
anniversary of service in Silver City.
HOLY TRINITY ANGLICAN
2008. The Rev. Winfield Mott came up from
Deming to “plant” a new church under the
reformed Episcopal Church Diocese of the West.
congregation was established and met at the
now privately owned old Presbyterian Church, which had become a
rental property. It styled itself “The Church of What’s
Happening Now.” After much discussion,
Chris Eng, a founding member of the new church
start, suggested renaming the
congregation Holy Trinity Anglican Church, and
the name was accepted.
2010. The Rev. Win Mott
had been consecrated Bishop Coadjutor of the
Reformed Episcopal Church. He arranged for
its Synod be held at Holy Cross Retreat
Center, in Las Cruces, where Bishop Boyce
recognized Holy Trinity Anglican Church of
Silver City as a “Mission Parish.”
The Right Reverend Winfield Mott
began toward the purchase of the property
at St Mary’s Academy. Bishop Win Mott
moved became Vicar General of the Diocese
in Formation, which would become the
Anglican Diocese of the Southwest, under
the umbrella of the Anglican Church in
After a year of focused study,
Bishop Mott ordained Chris Eng’s wife, Joan,
to the Diaconate. She would become the
deacon-in-charge of Holy Trinity.
Father Henry Hoffman, the rector of St.
Augustine’s in Deming, took the reigns at Holy
The Rev. Henry Hoffman
2013. In May, the Anglican congregation
began meeting in the chapel of St. Mary’s.
Bishop Win Mott met with the John Price, a
conservative who left the Episcopal Church.
Bishop Mott, and Rev. Harold Trott of
Albuquerque, encouraged him to start a mission
in Truth or Consequences. Father Henry
Hoffman was assigned by Bishop Mott to oversee
John and the mission. Father Henry traveled
once a month to Truth or Consequences to give
The sign announcing the meeting time and contact
"All Saints Mission," a house church in Truth or
2014. Holy Trinity
formally purchased 3.7 acres of the property
of St Mary’s Academy. A ceremony was held to
"transfer the Light" from the Catholics to
the Anglicans. This included
the chapel with the attached convent
dormitory building, the Joseph
In December 2014,
Bishop Mott ordained John Price to the
Henry resigned from St Augustine’s, and Deacon
John became an itinerant minister serving All
Saints mission in Truth or Consequences, and
St. Augustine’s in Deming. Father Henry left
the Diocese of the West, joined the Anglican
Diocese of the Southwest, and Holy Trinity
also became part of the diocese under the
governance newly elected Bishop Mark
The Right Reverend J. Mark
Bishop of the Anglican Diocese of the Southwest
of the Anglican Church in North America
2015. During Clericus,
at Holy Cross Retreat Center for Franciscan
Spirituality near Las Cruces, NM, Bishop
Mott ordained John Price to the Priesthood.
Fr. John would continue to temporarily serve
as supply priest for various area
congregations within the Reformed Episcopal
Diocese of the West.
Bishop Mott performing the
ordination of Fr John with assistance of Deacon
Sarid, was installed as rector of St.
Augustine’s in April. Father Henry
resigned as priest at Holy Trinity. Father
filled the vacancy at Holy Trinity.
2016. In March, Father
John became rector of Holy Trinity. All
Saints mission had been absorbed by a
“Continuing Anglican” diocese out of
Georgia, and Father John‘s traveled to Holy
Trinity, every other week. Deacon Joan did a
deacon’s mass every other Sunday. In
October, to insure that Holy Trinity would
not lose the chapel and retreat house, it
sold Marian Hall and the Joseph House to a
private owner thereby relieving two hundred
thousand dollars of its debt; the balance of
forty five thousand dollars IS owed to a
parishioner who loaned it to pay off the
mortgage, to be paid back over the next
seven years. Holy Trinity is debt free to
the financial institutions.
2017. In July, Father
Yossi Sarid resigned from St. Augustine’s.
Its vestry invited Father John to become
rector with the encouragement of Bishop Mott
and the approval of Bishop Zimmerman. As
rector for both Holy Trinity and St.
Augustine’s, Father John began to do a 286
mile circle from Truth or Consequences to
minister in Deming in the morning, and
Silver City in the afternoon. He modified
their worship schedules when Deacon Joan of
Holy Trinity, and “Deaconess” Myrna Parker
of St. Augustine’s agreed to conduct a
deacon’s mass every other Sunday, while Fr.
John alternated his travel between churches
every other Sunday.
2018. In January, Father John Price
informed the congregation of St. Augustine’s
of his intention to retire at the end of the
school spring semester, and move to Silver
City to serve the congregation there, full
time. Ash Wednesday of 2018 was Deacon Joan
Eng’s last service, which was a sad day in
February for Holy Trinity. Chris and Joan Eng
moved to Colorado Springs the following week.
In June, Deaconess Myrna Parker and her
husband moved from Deming to the State of
Washington. Father John put Thomas Guerra as
Deacon-in charge over St Augustine’s.
Officially retired from public school teaching
in July, Father John and his wife moved into
the Joseph House, the original parsonage next
door to Holy Trinity’s chapel.
The congregation at Holy Trinity celebrated
its 10th anniversary on September
The Joseph House - parsonage